Sunday, April 28, 2013

24-Hour Read-a-thon - The Selection

So my major problem with the 24-hour read-a-thon is that sometimes you read a book that is SO GOOD, you don't want to muck it up by jumping right into another book. There's a quote from The Thirteenth Tale (which I don't even remember reading, but I must have, long ago, to have copied this quote down) that sums it up completely:

"All morning I struggled with the sensation of stray wisps of one world seeping through the cracks of another. Do you know the feeling when you start reading a new book before the membrane of the last one has had time to close behind you? You leave the previous book with ideas and themes -- characters even -- caught in the fibers of your clothes, and when you open the new book, they are still with you."

Having just completed The Selection by Kiera Cass, I am struggling with just those feelings. I don't have the second book in my hands right now, and even if I did, I fear that THAT much immersion in the world would leave me unsatisfied. But as of right now, I'm itching for more, and I can't possibly think what book I could settle on next.

I think all that needs to be said to sell this book is that it is a less violent Hunger Games mashed up with The Bachelor. I love the characters, especially narrator America (despite her name), and I'm having an even easier time making a decision on which boy she should pick than I did in Hunger Games (and I am firmly on Team Peeta). However, I also love that even America doesn't think it just is about which boy to choose. 

At least The Selection has gotten me worked up enough that I'm not really tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment