Saturday, April 27, 2013

24-Hour Read-a-thon - Diary of a Wimpy Kid

When I worked as a bookseller, I tended not to read the big hits (Hunger Games aside, but I read that long ago). Those books didn't need my help to fly off the shelf. So I never bothered to read any of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.

As a librarian, however, my role is different. I need to know why something is popular, not just that it is. I spent the last hour plowing through the first Wimpy Kid book, and I can say I was pleasantly surprised. I even laughed out loud a couple times! I can definitely see why Kinney's books are so popular.

Will I read more in the series? Probably eventually, but I'm in no rush. I'm glad I read this one, though, so at least I can be more educated when kids tell me that they want something like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment