Saturday, November 24, 2012

Favorite Holiday Books

Some years, I really get in the holiday mood. Other years, I need a little help to get there. Luckily, I have some favorite books, new and old, to get me there.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss - Does this really need an explanation?

Merry Christmas Mom and Dad by Mercer Mayer - One of my all-time favorite Christmas stories from childhood. Little Critter just can't do anything right as he helps set up Christmas.

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris - If you've read any Sedaris, you'd recognize his off-beat look at the holiday season a mile away. If you haven't, start with Me Talk Pretty One Day (his best, in my opinion), then come back to this one. If the Santa Land Diaries doesn't have you rolling on the floor, you're dead inside. Also, Six to Eight Black Men makes me cry with laughter every time.

Scaredy Squirrel Prepares for Christmas by Melanie Watt - My friend/bookstore coworker introduced me to Scaredy, and I've been a fan ever since. In his newest adventure, which is also his longest (by far!), Scaredy prepares you for Christmas. But don't think of this as just a kids book - it would be the perfect gift for any good-humored adult.

What are your favorite holiday books?

No comments:

Post a Comment